Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Objectifying (Chremamorphism)

If personification is the technique of giving inanimate (things not alive) human characteristics, Chremamorphism is giving characteristics of an object to a person.

For example: "she shined upon him with her eyes" gives qualities of an object, like a star, to a person.

Step One: Brainstorming

Make a chart in your journal that includes 6 columns at the top and 3 columns long. Put part A (emotions) on top and put part B (people and objects) on the side. Here's a depiction:


 Emotion:
 Happy
 Angry
 Loyal
 Kind
 Sad
 Person:





 Object:








Identify the following people in your life:
  • A positive or happy person
  • An angry or grumpy person
  • A loyal or trustworthy person
  • A kind or sweet person
  • A sad or melancholy (depressed) person
Step Two: More brainstorming

List objects (non living things) that you consider:
  • positive or happy
  • angry or dangerous
  • loyal or trustworthy
  • pleasant, nice, or sweet
  • sad or tragic
Step Three: Writing

In your journal write a poem or description of a person as an object. If, for example, your mother is a stable, loyal, trustworthy person, you might identify or describe her with an object that is stable and trustworthy like a four-legged table.
"Mother--you are a four-legged table
There to lean on, support our weight.
You are wide and strong and able
To bear the things we place upon you.
We gather around you each morning, each night,
And though we don't always say it--
We mutter grace and give thanks,
thankful that you are always there within sight."

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! A student asked me today what the opposite of personification was, and so my search began and I found this. I will use this for my poetry practice tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting me know, I really needed it for school, and now I know what the opposite of personification is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this helped me with my marriage and my Tiki Taco Business

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Objectifying is when a feminist is told she has nice tits.

    ReplyDelete